St Olave’s Church
Major restoration including full replacement of the Nave roof following discovery of deterioration. Extensive high level structural repairs and alterations to rectify incorrect building methods previously carried out.
Project Cost - £265k
Workforce – 20
End Value – Immeasurable
Duration – 9 months
Status - Delivered
St Olave’s Church Restoration – York Minster
- St Olave's Church, York is a Grade I listed parish church of the Church of England in York. It is situated on Marygate, by St Mary's Abbey. St Olave's was founded in the late Saxon period, sometime prior to 1055, by Siward, Earl of Northumberland. Olav died in 1030, and Siward's new church in York is the first in the world dedicated to the Saint. It is possible that the church was part of a minster, or religious centre, with monks who went out into local communities.
The church was built beside a major road into York, just beside Siward's principal residence.
After the Norman Conquest, the church was granted to Alan of Brittany, who in turn gave it to Benedictine monks to establish a new abbey. The new abbey grew to become St Mary's, one of the great monasteries in northern England.
- Major restoration including full replacement of the Nave roof following discovery of deterioration. Extensive high level structural repairs and alterations to rectify incorrect building methods previously carried out.
Works also significantly improved access facilities to and within the church to encourage a wider audience to use the church, maintaining the church as a place of worship and upholding its historical importance within York. Planning ensured the works suited the building, in keeping with its listed status.
A major benefit to the property was centred on careful restoration of multiple historical artefacts which had been damaged by rain due to the previous condition of the roof.
- The project timescale from commencement to completion was just over 9 months. A hand-picked team of 20 trades, including specialist restoration professionals, were employed to ensure a high level of detailed care when working in an environment of historical importance. The project was completed within the budget allocated and only lapsed to one week over delivery schedule due to climatic conditions at the time.
The project cost, aligned with the budget set forth from initial planning, came in some 35k under budget saving the Church a considerable sum versus anticipated cost. Works were conducted at abnormal times during the project to allow the Church to continue to meet its responsibilities for various ceremonial requirements. The main priority of the works was focused on retaining the long-term sustainability and in regards to the end value this is immeasurable, due to the grade listed status and nature of the property.
The Alliance Fund controls the full vertical of development delivery to ensure quality and increase capitalisation for all participating shareholders. Appointed development partners hold a rather enviable track record of delivery value, being quite literally ‘Priceless’.